So what goes on in the private home of The Big Rajah himself? What are some of their favourite dishes at home? Here’s one.
An original recipe carved by Rosari Xavier for their Sunday family meals and reserved for special guests of the family, the Imperial Sunday Chicken was commercialised by the catering house following a strong demand by the customers after tasting the uniqueness of its flavour.
Preparation time: 15 minutes (excluding marination time)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6 persons
1 whole chicken cut into small pieces (1.5 kg)
300 gm tomato (cut into 8 pieces )
3 whole red onions (chopped)
2 tbs garlic paste (blended)
100 gm cooking oil
2 tbs chili powder
1 ½ tbs meat powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 sticks cinnamon
3 piece cardamom
1 tsp fennel
1-2 stalks of curry leave
Salt and lemon juice to taste
1. Wash chicken and drain off excess water.
2. Put drained chicken into a bowl. Add chili powder, meat powder, turmeric, cut tomatoes, chopped onions, ginger and garlic paste. Lastly salt to taste. Mix evenly and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, to allow the flavours to soak into the chicken.
3. Heat a saucepan and add marinated chicken. Leave it to cook for 20 minutes on slow fire until the juices soak well into the chicken.
4. In a frying pan, heat cooking oil. Add in cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel and curry leaves.Fry till fragrant.
5. Add in the cooked chicken. Stir fry for 10 minutes on medium heat.
6. Finally, add in some salt and lemon juice to enhance the flavour-some dish.
7. To garnish-sprinkle freshly chopped coriander leaves.